Here are 5 tips to consider when you step into a gym.
- Dress For Comfort: When you are at the gym it’s important to be comfortable. You should be able to move freely and have a full range of motion for all of your exercises. Look for fabrics that keep you dry (moisture wicking), breath well, and keep you fresh (stink free). Bamboo shirts are becoming a preferred choice among many gym goers since they are extremely soft, highly breathable, and are great at wicking away moisture.
- Drink Water: Make sure to drink plenty fluids before, during, and after the gym. If you don’t drink enough water you can easily become dehydrated which can lead to fatigue, muscle weakness, and dizziness. How much water should you be drinking? Before workouts: 20oz. During workouts: 4oz. every 10 to 15 minutes. After workouts: Drink enough water to replenish what was lost during exertion (for each pound lost, drink about 16 oz. of water).
- Change Up Your Workouts: Keeping the same workout can lead to workout plateaus. Why? With the repetition of the same type of workout, your body will get used to the exercise routine and will consume less energy. By mixing up your routine, your body will be continually challenged and it will burn more calories.
- Practice Gym Etiquette: Make sure to share, be good to the equipment, and clean up after yourself (i.e. wipe your sweat from the machines and put your weights back on the rack). Also, pay attention to your hygiene and make sure you are showering regularly, changing your workout clothes, and using deodorant. If you are constantly on-the-go consider workout apparel that has anti-odor technology (i.e. bamboo shirts from Singlo). Anti-odor technology will help keep you workout gear smelling fresh during and after workouts. You can even re-use this type of clothing between washings if needed.
- Anything Is Better Than Nothing: When it comes to fitness understand that a little exercise is better than no exercise at all. Even if you only have half an hour to workout it’s better to do that instead of not working all together.